by: Ryleigh Miller(:
- In the 18oo's soduim was first isolated from potassium. Before this no distinction.
- Sir Humphry Davy
- eltrolysis of very dry molten sodium hydroxide, NaOH. Sodium collected at the cathode. Davy isolated potassium by a similar procedure, also in 1807
- Shortly after, Thenard and Gay-Lussac isolated sodium by reducing sodium hydroxide with iron metal at high temperatures.
- Soduim is one of the only chemicals that have alchemical symbol
- Came from the english word "soda"
- smybol comes from the latin word Natrium
Who discovered it?
Where was it descivered/when/how?
- In England in 1803
- Eltrolysis of very dry molten sodium hydroxide,NaOH. Sodium is collected at the cathode
- eltrolysis of very dry molten sodium hydroxide, NaOH. Sodium collected at the cathode.
- Metallic sodium is crucial in the manufacturing of organic compounds.
- A chemical heat transfer unit often uses alloys of sodium.
Is it naturally occurring or synthetic?
Where can it be found?
- Table salt
- Monsodium glutamate
Is it radioactive?
- Nearly 100% of sodium is not radioactive
Name and describe all isotopes of this element:
- 30Na 2+
Hazards and safety issues:
- majority of American adults consume to much sodium
- Excessive sodium intake also links with increased risk of osteoporosis, particularly in postmenopausal women. When you consume high amounts of sodium, it causes an increased release of calcium in urine, a condition known as calciuria
- Sodium is considered to be nontoxic, but when it comes in contact with the skin it may cause burns and irritation
Properties/descriptions of this element:
- Sodium is soft, silvery-white metal
- Sodium burns in air
- It is soft enough to cut with an edge of a coin
- floats on water
|Name of element
|atomic number (z)
|atomic mass (a)
|| Na-22 Na-23 Na-24
| melting point
|| 97.72 °C (370.87 K, 207.9 °F)
| boiling point
|| 883 °C (1156 K, 1621 °F)
|| 2.16 g/cm3
| atomic radius (nm)
| first ionization energy(KJ/mol)
|| 495.8 kJ mol-1
| specific heat (j/gC)
||1.23 J g-1 K-1
| electron configuration
|| 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s1
| section on the periodic table
| major oxidation states
||Na+ ion is +1